Gabriel García Márquez's darkly comic tale, brought to the stage for children and adults to share.
In a kitchen, in a theatre, two storytellers and their audience ﬁnd something remarkable — a very old man with enormous wings. The wise neighbour woman tells us he’s an angel. The priest says he’s an imposter. Pilgrims ﬂock to see him, hoping to be healed by him, hoping for a gawp. They leave with something different than what they expected.
Adapted from Gabriel García Márquez’s Un señor muy viejo con unas alas enormes, Dan Colley and Riverbank Arts Centre bring this classic piece of magical realism to the stage in search of its beautiful, strange, emotional richness.
Developed and Co-Produced as part of Theatre Artist in Residency at Riverbank Arts Centre, Kildare; supported by field:arts.
For children 8+ and adults of all ages.
Running time: 45 minutes (no interval)
Allergy warning: goose feathers
- BestSet at Irish Times Irish Theatre Awards 2020
- BestLighting at Irish Times Irish Theatre Awards 2020
- BestProduction at Dublin Fringe Festival 2019
- LittleGemAward at Dublin Fringe Festival 2019
- BestPerformer at Dublin Fringe Festival 2019
- Cast: Genevieve Hulme-Beaman
- Cast: Manus Halligan
- Based on the short story by: Gabriel García Márquez
- Adapted for the stage by: Dan Colley, Manus Halligan and Genevieve Hulme-Beaman
- Directed by: Dan Colley
- Set and Props Design by: Andrew Clancy
- Lighting Design by: Sarah Jane Shiels
- Composition and Sound Design by: Alma Kelliher
- Production Manager: Eoin Kilkenny
- Chief LX: Suzie Cummins
- Stage Manager: Evie McGuinness
- Producer for field:arts: Emma Coen
- Producer: Matt Smyth
Dan Colley is a theatre maker with a particular focus on devised ensemble work, theatre-for-young-audiences and street spectacle. He was director of Collapsing Horse theatre for whom he directed eight original productions, and toured around Ireland and to London, Edinburgh, Moscow, New York and Bergen. Their final production A Very Old Man with Enormous Wings was nominated for four Dublin Fringe Festival awards including Best Production and was called “a model of ingenuity” by the Irish Times and “fifty minutes of near theatrical perfection” by The Arts Review. Dan has also directed Me Michael, and Fourteen Voices From a Bloodied Field for the Abbey Theatre and Danse Macabre for Macnas.
*Vaccine Certificates are mandatory for patrons over the age of 18 to attend this performance. A valid form of ID is required to check certificates.*
‘There's a touch of Monty Python's Life of Brian about it all ... an absolute delight’★★★★★ Irish Mail on Sunday
‘fifty minutes of near theatrical perfection’★★★★★ The Arts Review
‘a model of ingenuity’★★★★ The Irish Times
‘There is as much for adults to enjoy about Collapsing Horse's family-friendly fable as there is for children’★★★★ The Sunday Business Post
‘Watch the sublime production take flight, only after showing what really matters’★★★★ Musings In Intermissions