Winner of the Jury Award at Cannes Film Festival 2018, writer-director Nadine Labaki (Caramel, Where Do We Go Now?) Capernaum is a powerful drama, chronicling the beleaguered life of 12-year-old Zain (Al Rafeea). Overcome with anger, when his parents sell his 11-year-old sister's hand in marriage, Zain escapes from his parents and begins a journey that leads him to filing a lawsuit against his parents for giving birth to him. The trial provides the frame through which Zain's story unfolds.
Featuring a host of astounding performances, Capernaum marks the sensational debut of young actor Al Rafeea, with writer-director Nadine Labaki crafting an emotionally powerful and thought-provoking tale of hope. Stunningly realised Capernaum is searing, energetic and essential viewing.
Language: Arabic, Amharic (English Subtitles)
- Cannes Film Festival 2018 Winner Prize of the Ecumenical Jury
- Cannes Film Festival 2018 Winner Jury Prize Nadine Labaki
- Cannes Film Festival 2018 Winner Prix de la citoyenneté
- Ghent International Film Festival 2018 Winner Audience Award
- Calgary International Film Festival 2018 Winner Audience Award
- Melbourne International Film Festival 2018 Winner People's Choice Award
- Norwegian International Film Festival 2018 Winner Audience Award
- São Paulo International Film Festival 2018 Winner Audience Award